Friday, September 16, 2005

State of the Nation

I have almost avoided commenting on the Hurricane Katrina aftermath. It has been so upsetting for me. I have spent a lot of time crying and just asking why and when?

I have to say I have never been more embarrassed to be a citizen of the USA. We are humanitarians all across the world, or so we pretend to be in countries that economic importance to us. We put an image of helping the world. That bubble was burst in the worst way.

The racial tension and economic divide has not been at the current levels for sometime. And not been so worldly broadcast. Everyone could see what was not being done and who it was not being done for.

Shame on US government. The people of this country reached out and were able to start helping before the government. People banded together raised contributions and goods and set off to get it where it needed to go.

I have a pretty good idea of hurricane preparation, had my first 3 last year. Watching them come for days if not a week. Public advisories put out on hourly basis. I also know that before every hurricane I have seen in FL, depending on where they expect the greatest amount of damage, the supplies to provided in aftermath, where prepared and kept at arms length, to be able to get there quickly. Insurance teams, Red Cross, FEMA, all ready, sitting for storm to clear to move in and help.

What the hell happened????

I am not into the blame game, it never gets anyone anywhere, I care for doing right by our people, ALL OF OUR PEOPLE. For the sense of security to know we are all here for each other. To feel in times of crisis our nation people and GOVERNMENT would be doing all they can.

If you have a minute take a look here or here to really get a feeling of how bad this was and how much we need to do, to be sure nothing like this ever happens again.

No comments: